Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Day seventythree

OK, so I have not blogged for 12 days. Sorry about that.

I am still doing remarkably well, though.

Admittedly, I have been traveling. Last week I was in the Western suburbs of Boston. This is a desert for vegan style food. There are very few vegan options in Whole Foods, believe it or not. I have one war story on this. I hooked up with a local yoga studio called Mystic Fitness. This is a really great studio for those desiring Bikram style, hot yoga. I had a conversation with the owner of this studio that went something like this:
I was in California last week and ate very well as a vegan eater. My hotel even got it. Here, I ask for soy milk in my hotel restaurant at breakfast and they look at me like I am insane. There are very few vegan options in restaurants. What gives with that?
He laughed at me. Said he was thinking about moving to California himself. The issue, according to this gentlemen, is that California is a health-conscious, outdoors oriented culture. Also, lots of locally-produced fresh fruits and vegetables. In Boston, they have winter six to eight months. Folks are depressed most of the time. They need comfort food. Fried pork chops with cream gravy. Ice cream. 36 ounce porterhouse steaks. You get the idea.

I did manage to eat vegan in Boston with difficulty. The EMC cafeteria was pretty good. I could always get a salad, and maybe a vegan soup option. The Naked Fish in Framingham was also not too bad. My last night there I ate at Chef Orient in Framingham which I would have to say was also not bad.

This week I am in Cork, Ireland. I am staying at the Oriel House in Cork. This is a health oriented spa hotel. Still does not get it with respect to vegan dieting, though. I ordered a grilled vegetables sandwich for lunch on Monday. Asked for no cheese and salad instead of french fries. I got the sandwich with the cheese on white bread with the fries.

It took me some serious effort to resolve that one.

I have found an outstanding place in Cork, though, called Lemongrass. This is an Asian fusion place. Very good options for vegans. My only complaint is that they use white instead of brown rice. Great salad for an asian restaurant, though. Also a very good fresh fruit dessert. I have eaten dinner there the last two nights in a row. If something is working, why change?

I have also done yoga 13 times in the past 15 days. I am basically doing it everyday. I am seeing profound changes in my body as a result of this. As well as huge reductions in stress, and increased clarity of mind. I am getting so much payoff that I am strongly motivated to continue this.

My plan is to continue eating vegan in Cork this week, spend the weekend at home in NC, and then be back out in California next week.

More later.

No comments: