Saturday, February 2, 2008

Day thirtythree begins

OK, so it's a little late for me to say the day "begins". So I have been busy.

Last night Ruth and I had dinner at Ray and Debbie's house. We had the famous butternut squash soup, which is featured on Ray's blog.

OK, so it should be. Not there yet.

Ray! Put the squash soup up there dude! That stuff rocks!

Anyway, we feasted on guac and salsa, only no chips. "No chips?" you say? Yeah, we had tortillas instead. Corn tortillas, to boot. OK, Debbie, so corn tortillas don't have 100 calories. They have 63, according to John McDougall's web site. And flour tortillas have a whopping 90 calories! OK That's not as much more as I said. But still more calories than the corn tortillas.

Your best bet for eating salsa and guac is fresh, corn tortillas grilled on a black cast iron skillet. Delicious!

We also had salad, steamed broccoli, and, yes, the cool butternut squash soup.

I won't tell you about the details. I will let Ray do that.

Today, we got up and went to a 15 mile bike ride with Ray and Debbie and the rest of the biking group. I had a blended salad for breakfast before the ride. Later I made Ruth and I a lunch consisting of adzuki bean soup and more corn tortillas with avocado and salsa.

Right now, I am spending time with Jeanae and resting. That bike ride was pretty grueling!

I have been reading a book called The Pleasure Trap by Alan Goldhamer. He is a doctor who maintains a fasting house in California. Basically, Dr. Goldhamer says that we are caught in a trap in which our instinctive behavior leads to self-destructive results.

This is based on the idea that we engage in behaviors which increase pleasure and avoid pain, while expending minimum effort and energy. In the process we experience feelings of happiness, fulfillment and so forth.

This is a compelling notion. I will write more about this as I learn more.

Later.

No comments: