Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Day thirty begins

Bringing you up-to-speed on the health diary. Yesterday, I went to the office, worked out, did not do my expense reports. Bummer.

Had an interesting conversation with my boss. He is also having some health challenges. It will be cool if he gives the program a try. I hope he does.

I did 30 minutes on a Precor. Light cardio workout in other words. Then came home after work and went to a school-related event with my daughter. Later we came home and I made dinner.

This was a somewhat successful dinner, but there are some things that could be improved.

First, my son had criticized me for making my food too consistent. Granted, I caught him making a meal out of hamburger helper the other night. Not exactly vegan. But still, I took the comment to heart. So I decided to break out somewhat.

My friend Ray had made a soy chicken pizza. I decided to try the soy chicken product. (Ray's dish can be seen here.) I got inspired by this recipe, I guess, so I got my own soy chicken and tried to make a spaghetti dish. I also picked up some brown rice and spinach pasta in the form of spaghetti.

The sauce was a whole onion, five or six cloves of garlic, and fresh sage, rosemary, and thyme. Sauted in a little olive oil until the onion was soft. Added a whole fresh tomato chopped fine, half a yellow bell pepper, two cans of organic no salt added stewed tomatos and a small can of tomato paste (not strictly ETL compliant because of added sugar; I need to find an alternative to this). Finally, I added two packages of soychicken. Simmer until done, about 30 minutes.

Everything was fine except the soy chicken. It had a funny sort of tangy flavor to it. I thought it was OK, but my wife absolutely hated it.

The pasta was nice though. Boiled up just like normal spaghetti.

This dish seemed to make me kind of itchy too. Not sure on that one. I loved the sauce. My wife suggested a nice addition: pineapples. I will try that next time, omitting the soy chicken this time.

Today, I have had a blended salad for breakfast and am making some soup for lunch. Basically, this is a blended soup consisting of the leftover adzuki bean soup I had made last week. I blended it and added a container of Imagine low sodium vegetable broth. It is now heating in the crock pot.

Jeanae fainted three times this morning. We are trying to get her to a doctor. Not sure what is going on with this kid.

More later.

No comments: