Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Day twentynine continued

Lunch with the Cisco guys was cool. For some reason these guys love me. I need to figure out how to replicate this experience with other customers. They are completely gaga over the talk I gave there a few weeks ago. Still talking about how this was the most useful lunch and learn at Cisco -- ever. Weird but very cool.

For lunch we went to Doce. I have spoken of this restaurant before. It is one of a wave of new, healthy fast food restaurants that I see cropping up. Doc Greens and Green Tango are in the same genre.

As folks become more educated about the health advantages of vegetarian eating, I expect that there will be more and more places like this, replacing the ubiquitous McDonalds, Wendys, Taco Bell, Hardys, Burger King, and the like, all of which I regard as anathema. I would rather die than eat in one of those places. It has been years since I set foot in any of these very questionable establishments.

Basically, I regard them as in the same league as your local strip club. Sleaze and grease are similar commodities in my book.

Those who own them are worthy of our condemnation. They are contributing to the decline of our society. They must die and they will.

Along with many of their customers.

At any rate, for lunch I had black bean and corn salad, a large green salad with romaine, melon, tomato, cucumber and golden raisins with balsamic vinaigrette, roasted vegetables and greeen beans. A very healthy and satisfying lunch.

I intend to do a light workout today. I must file my expense reports. I will face this. I hate it more than anything I can think of. I would far rather get my teeth drilled than do my expense reports. But whatever. It must be done and I will do it.

Exercise first. Then work. Yeah, that's it.

Oh, and one more thing. I started reading the section of The China Study by T. Collin Campbell that discusses why we aren't hearing more about this form of diet and how it affects your health. This is a very annoying thing to read, believe me.

It is exactly as if there were a nefarious conspiracy by the drug and food industries to suppress the information. The practical impact is identical. The difference, though, is that this activity is being conducted in full view and is perfectly legal.

For example, in 1976 Sen George McGovern conducted a series of hearings to determine the recommendations of the US government regarding diet and nutrition. The end result of these hearings was a report recommending that folks increase their consumption of fruits and vegetables and limit their consumption of animal products.

Pandemonium ensued. The report was eventually withdrawn. Sen. McGovern and 5 other US senators lost their seats in the next election as a result of intense lobbying on the part of the food industry.

A few years later in 1980, a report by a National Academy of Sciences committee labeled the McGovern report as being as fraudulent and fallacious as the treatment of cancer with Laetrile.

Hmmmmm.

The fox is definitely in charge of the hen house. The US dietary recommendations currently recommend daily consumption of dairy products and meat. These are part of the major food groups you absolutely need to eat each and every day.

Everyone knows about the studies on diet and nutrition proving the efficacy of vegan and vegetarian dieting for health, but decide to ignore these inconvenient facts. All in the name of profit.

In the process, as I have pointed out before, the trillion dollar pharmaceutical industry reaps huge profits selling us lifestyle drugs to treat the host of health issues that inevitably result from these dietary recommendations.

I will keep reading. My next books are the Ornish tomes on reversing heart disease and diet. I will let you know when I get to that.

More later.

4 comments:

Ray Hooker said...

I thought the article today in MSNBC about "Conveyor-belt cardiology" is an interest complements to your comments. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22882555/

Unfortunately they don't go into specific into what lifestyle alternatives are recommended nor do the reference Ornish or others who have documented success. Ray Hooker

Joan Levin said...

Hi! I think your blog is terrific. But the last post seems to be in 2008. How are you doing now? I'm most interested in whole food plant based nutrition for myself and am interested to know anything you would care to share about your experience over the past two years.

Joan Levin said...

UNSUBSCRIBE

Joan Levin said...

Unsubscribe