Thursday, January 31, 2008

Day thirtyone

A full month was passed last night at midnight. This is surely a milestone.

I was 240.4 this morning. I reached a new waist of 46 inches.

I did not eat breakfast this morning. This is rare for me, but Dr. Sharp has put me on a protocol which requires me to take a supplement 45 minutes before eating. I got kind of a late start this morning nutritionally, so by the time I was ready to eat it was almost time for lunch.

In that regard, I had lunch with Ray at Whole Foods. This consisted of many roasted vegetables, pineapple, brown rice, and chickpeas.

Bringing you up-to-date on last night, I had dinner with my wife Ruth and my daughter Jeanae at a place called Town Hall Grill in Southern Village. This is a classic vegan diet war story. I went into this restaurant with great trepidation. It is not regarded as the most healthy of places. The clientele is largely sports-oriented folks. They have a special on beer on UNC game nights. Their normal fare is burgers and fries. Lots of pizza and hot wings as well. A sports bar in other words.

I took a look at their menu and noticed a lot of healthy ingredients in many dishes. Not any single dish was very healthy. But assembling the pieces would work.

I worked with the server, saying "I want a salad with field greens, roasted bell peppers, granny smith apples, tomato, and a balsamic vinaigrette." This was from other dishes on the menu. I made up this salad in other words. Similarly, I asked for roasted vegetables (not using butter as the oil) and a side of brown beans.

All this worked. I got a healthy meal. It was fairly pricey (I think I spent about $15, including my drink), but it worked. I was able to eat a healthy vegan meal in this otherwise unhealthy place.

Admittedly I have not attempted this in McDonald's, Wendy's, etc. I have not darkened the door of a place like that in years.

Later on, Ruth and I had fruit, consisting of pears, apples, and a blood orange.

After lunch today, I shared a blended salad with Ruth consisting of strawberry, cherries, banana, flaxseed, frozen spinach, and flaxseed.

I am presently on a con call. When this is complete, I plan to finish whatever work related email I need to get done. Then Ruth and I will go to yoga tonight, followed by dinner somewhere.

As I think I have already said on this blog, I am planning to do a 5 day fast from February 8 to 12. More on that later.

No comments: