Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Later on day one

OK, here's a brief update.

I ate 1/4 of a baked acorn squash with a big salad consisting of field greens, sprouts, tomato, grapes, and part of a red pepper. I used a pomegranate sauce (fat free and very light). Afterwards, I ate about 1/3 of a mango. I felt pretty full at that point.

I then went to the gym and did 30 minutes of cardio on a Precor EFX 346 and about 20 minutes in the sauna. My lesions scaled off.

Backing up, on the way to the gym, I noticed something interesting. The swelling in my hands is going down. I sometimes experience this if I do not eat for a few hours. However, this was right after lunch.

After working out and saunaing, I noticed that I have a very swollen lymph node on the right side of my head behind the ear and under the jawline. The left one is also pretty sore. This is also putting some pressure on my ears, which are itchy and feel kind of tight.

I remembered later that I did not include a complete description of several other symptoms of my disease. For example, six out ten of my toenails are completely dysfunctional. They are thick, yellow, crumbly, twisted, and deformed. Large amounts of psoriasis material is building up under these nails. (Psoriasis material is basically dead skin. Psoriatics make skin about 1000 times faster than normal people in the areas where they have lesions.) I have lesions under six out of ten toenails. I also have a lesion underneath my little finger on my left hand. That nail is deformed and dysfunctional as well.

In addition, I have psoriasis lesions between many of my toes. I also have one developing on my left ankle. This is another area where I have no folds in my skin. This one looks like a sore which will not heal.

I will discuss the various theories about what causes psoriasis in a later post.

Finishing up on my activities for the day, I came home from the gym and ate an entire pear. I also juiced some carrots and celery and drank the resulting juice. Presently, I am making a black bean soup consisting of dried black beans (which I soaked earlier today), carrots, sweet potato, onion, garlic, basil, garam masala, cumin, cilantro, and chicken broth. Yeah, I know. Chicken broth is not vegan. I will work on this later. It was the only kind of broth I had available.

I plan on getting my daughter Jeanae to take photographs of my lesions and post them here. That will allow me to track the effect of the diet on the lesions over time.

More later.

No comments: